Thursday, October 18, 2007

THE DYING HOBBY

I obtained my amateur radio license in 1960. (I was 12 at the time.) It's an old hobby, starting with the advent of radio. However, it is now a struggling hobby. The bright minds have been drawn away by the lure of building computers, programming, and hacking into cell phones. My first experience was putting together a Knight Kit. It was an AM 60-watt transmitter and a companion receiver. I soldered every joint. When it was completed, the receiver didn't seem to work well, so my dad and I took it to one of the hams in town who had a lot of electronic expertise. Once he studied the schematic and corrected a few of my errors, it worked fine. We lived on a cranberry farm so I had the luxury that few hams have; room for an awesome antenna. I strung up a 120 foot long wire pointed directly at Southern California. Needless to say, my signal reports from California and Nevada were outstanding. I had a Novice license and all communication was by Morse code. Single sideband replaced AM, so after college I unpacked the T-60 and sold it to a coastal fisherman who said he could use it on the commercial fishing band. Now I own a Kenwood. I keep it in the garage for those rainy Saturdays when I putter around and want to listen to the old codgers chew the rag. That is why it is a dying hobby; they are all older than I am. Of course, I'm partly to blame for the lack of interest from the younger generation. I taught my son basic Apple programming when he was seven, and he never looked back. He didn't see the glamor of building an antenna or radio kit. Of course you can't make a living today taking radios apart, and he does very well as a programmer, so perhaps in retrospect it turned out for the best. There is sadness when you see a hobby die. Some hams are very good an merging computers and amateur radio, but I think the glory days are gone. It's only a matter of time. Fortunately, it doesn't bother me except for occasional bouts of sucidal thoughts. Just kidding. Have you had a hobby that has died?


9 comments:

Bethany said...

Ah the circle of life!

Somehow the older generation always has to pass on before the younger generation can have their go. I suppose that philosophy applies to both people and technology.

I wonder what would happen if people never died. Would we never advance technologically because there would be more "old timers" than young idealists? Maybe people would never become old timers because they would never be old.

Why can't old technology/traditions and the new ones coexist? Why can't they complement the next generation instead of being replaced? It seems like there could be a lot of situations where ham radios would be very useful (e.g. you are snowed in, fatally injured, and your cell phone dies).

ROD said...

Bethany, you are right. If the communication system collapsed, then people would be knocking on the doors of the few remaining ham radio operators. However, technology is against the hobby, and we are seeing a continual decrease in the number of hams. However, they still exist in cooperation with emergency services of some cities.

Erin said...

Maybe blogging is my dying hobby? I hope not!

I still remember a little bit of that Morse code that I memorized so many years ago.

... . .
..
-.. ---

Okay, I cheated a little.

ROD said...

Erin, the proper way to write Morse code is by using the words dit and dah with spaces between the letters and slash marks between the words. dahdahdah dahditdah/ditditdahdahditdit

Anonymous said...

Hi Rod! I've been lurking on your blog ever so often since Erin told me about it. I enjoy it!

But this comment is really to make fun of your brilliant daughter whom I love dearly...

Erin, you really memorized morse code? As a child? While the rest of us were making dollhouses and playing hide and seek, you were glued to morse code? This brings me new depths of insight into your personality. In fact, it fits perfectly! :)

Erin said...

Well, I didn't exactly memorize it, but I gave it a try. I think that I got through "F" before I gave up.

And I'm proud of it! Guess who you'll be calling if times get tough and Morse Code comes back into fashion!

Lin said...

Yes Erin! Someone has to save the world. I actually studied for my ham license as a young mother of 3. Like I had time for that! I finally gave it up, guess we'll just have to keep all those ol hams propped up for emergencies!
Lin

Unknown said...

I can remember your devotion to your radio and antenna. (I was 7) I also remember being envious of all the postcards you received from other operators. Since I've taught for 30 years, I think I can safely say you were a child genius, bored by school---at least until something caught your interest in High School. And that brings us to the homemade Root Beer exploding in the attic--and your own HGTV project of painting your room orange, black and yellow. Mom and Dad didn't sweat the small stuff, did they?

ROD said...

Hi Sherri;
very funny, telling family secrets! However, I disagree about the genius part. Making root beer was fun, and if I remember correctly only one bottle exploded.