Wednesday, October 3, 2007

GLAD TO BE ALIVE





I usually don't watch a lot of television, so it has been an endurance for me to spend 14 hours doing just that over the past week. PBS presented The War by Ken Burns. It was a fascinating overview of WWII history, focusing on four typical American towns and the personal interviews of individuals from them. I didn't want to buy the DVD set later for $129, so it was important that I watch it now. WWII veterans have now reached the age that an average of 1,000 die each day. My own father is currently in relatively good health at age 95, and he had full participation in that history. He began as an MP in the states, and then was a vehicle mechanic in Europe. He crossed into France on "D-30" which means 30 days after the invasion.

Today I was telling him about the series. We get coffee everyday when I make my bank run. After the first stop he started to relate a story from that past, but forgot what he was going to say. After the second bank stop he remembered. He was working on a truck when a shell from a German 88 landed on its tail next to him and slid to a stop without exploding. I have heard this story before, but after watching that series, it took on a whole new meaning. My stomach flipped. I was born in 1948. Suddenly I felt very glad to be alive. I exist because of the faulty aerodynamics of German artillery. My mother, my siblings, my spouse, my children, their spouses-- the thought is overwhelming how history could have occured differently based on one shell.

So I begin thinking, "How important am I?" Is my existence determined by chance? Does God ever reach into human history and tweak the outcome so that one may live and another die? I don't know how often He does that, but there is one fact that we do know: Jesus said, "I lay down my life and take it up again." I could possibly lay down my life if I do something heroic like shield a grenade with my body, or push someone out of the way of an oncoming truck. No way could I take my life up again after dying.

Has anything ever happened to you that could have easily ended your life? More importantly, has anyone ever died so that you may live? Are you glad to be alive?




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, we do owe many for our lives. And I believe totally that God is always guarding us. We do have to acknowledge Him and allow Him to do as He wills.
95, wonderful, what a blessing. And you have coffee together, another blessing. Don't let his memories fade, keep putting them down on paper or tape.
Dean was in Germany, instructor, so he didn't go over til peace. I missed him, family and friends saw me through the birth of our first child, so I was being cared for by our loving God.
My life has been full of love, the minor things God gives me peace about so, life has been good.
Betty G

Bethany said...

Sometimes I am overwhelmed by how many people have gone before me, and suffered through all kinds of things- things that all lead to me being where I am today. The hardwork of even my parents and grandparents has allowed me to be in college, and have advantages that they themselves did not have. Ultimately, however, I think that just being alive is a gift, and we all have a responsibility to honor God with the few breaths of life that we are given.