Saturday, November 17, 2007

CONFLICT








What is the root of conflict? We have conflict between individuals, within families, between clans, states, and nations. I see bumper stickers that say "Why can't we just all get along?" The prevailing viewpoints are that mankind is either basically evil, or basically good. The "evil" outlook is rooted in Judeo-Christian teaching, and the "good" perspective is a more recent addition since the enlightenment. What do you think? Will our future be like Star Trek or The Apocolypse? Perhaps it will follow the storyline of H.G. Wells Time Machine, and we will have one, followed by the other.


Perhaps the root of conflict is that we want to control others. When they don't do what we want, we get angry. We see conflict in preschool when children fight over toys. I think the weapons just get more sophisticated as we grow older.


I often tell Lin that the world would be a better place if everyone would just do what I say. Who are you in conflict with? Is it because they are a jerk, or are you the jerk? Has anyone ever used guilt or manipulation to make you feel like a jerk, when they are the one who is the real jerk? How do you get past that?


Have you ever found yourself in a relationship with conflict? How did you resolve it?

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Hmm...I think that conflict is inevitable when humans are involved. I had a similar conversation in one of my classes. We were discussing whether it is possible to have complete peace on earth. As wonderful as this sounds, it has yet to happen in all of human history since Eden I suppose. One group of people will always want another group's resources, etc... In my opinion, humans are capable of great good, but their first inclination is usually selfish.

ROD said...

I agree. The past is a great indicator of the future; and the past is full of conflict. However, on an individual level, I do have a say.

Lin said...

Conflict and taxes....somehow they will always be with us...at least in this life.
We have been an unusual generation to have had as much stability as we have had...if we learn anything from history it is that what we have experienced is not the norm.

Unknown said...

sometimes Conflict is good to have otherwise the life would be real bore and dull...imagine everyone is following what You are ordering world is running on your wish, whats the heck I want someone to urge with,whome will I do if everyone is a nerd and I am a nut....