Tuesday, December 15, 2009

WINTER PEACEFULNESS





Household pets love winter. All they do is lay around with the fire blazing brightly. If you disturb them, they look up as if to say, "Is there a problem?" Their visits outside through the animal door become much less frequent than during warmer weather. They don't like the cold, and they definitely don't like the rain. When you put cold and rain together our cat and dog both get a sarcastic view of going outside. "You expect me to do what out there? You don't do it outside. Why should I?" Fortunately, I am bigger, and I am the boss, so if someone needs to do their business, I gently but firmly take control. I don't really know when they need to go out, but there is an internal alarm in my head that begins quietly and increases in intensity if neither animal has made a move for the door after three hours. Speaking of taking control, I feel much more an authority in my house since the last human child departed. The only other voice is Lin, and she usually agrees with me.

4 comments:

Carol G. said...

What I'd like to know is how you keep that kitty from clawing that beautiful leather couch??? We've resorted to claw covers which have to be monitored daily and re-applied.

ROD said...

Hi Carol
you put a scratching post in the same room; they prefer to use that instead of the furniture. Also, sprinkle some catnip over it once in a while.

Carol G. said...

We've tried 3 different scratching posts and various forms of catnip....all to no avail....goofy cat. Your cat looks much more obedient than our Punkin..I believe it's the red hair.... :)

Anonymous said...

we read an article that said the scratching post must be near where the cat sleeps so when they wake up it is right there in their territory...sure enough when we moved the ugly thing back into the family room by the couch where she sleeps, she quit scrathing the leather. Maybe we were just lucky? (definately not related to hair color) :) Lin