Tuesday, December 8, 2009

BAGGAGE





Sometimes carrying a backpack is a good thing. Other times it is better left behind. I had a dream about mine. Tell me what you think it means:


My friend and I were standing outside behind the house. It was dark, but the porch light was on. The light reflected partially across the backyard. The snow was about 18 inches deep, but where we were standing under the eve there was just a skiff. We were going to head for a large tree at the back of the lot. There was a trail already in the snow which began at our feet and curved around to the left. I reached behind me and took my coat and pack off the hook and said, "I'll try it first." The air was cold. The first part of the trail was well worn, and easy to navigate. As I reached the point where the trail curved back toward the tree, the path became progressively less traveled, until finally there was only one set of footprints in the deep snow. I found I could stay on the path if I placed my feet in those tracks, because the snow was almost up to my knees. It was also getting harder, and I was beginning to feel the weight of the pack. Finally I had a revelation. I quickly ran back toward the house, and when I arrived I hung my coat and pack on the wall and told my friend, "There is only one set of tracks, leave all your stuff and just go for it." Without waiting for his reply, I turned and quickly retraced my steps. This time when I got to the deep snow, it was easy to follow those same tracks, but I did it running instead of laboriously walking. As I approached the tree's canopy I felt an intense presence of God, and since I was already running, I jumped the last six feet. Instead of landing, I awoke.

No comments: