Saturday, April 19, 2008

DEATH AND TAXES






Isn't it unusual that two of the most common things in life are the most hated? We do a lot of complaining about taxes. I'm self employed, so I save every month in preparation for the quarterly tax payment. Some people choose to not pay, but I believe in paying taxes, so I do it willingly. I don't agree with the concept of estate taxes, so I've decided that when I die I am not going to pay those.
I also believe in being prepared to die. Just because we don't like to think about it, doesn't mean we shouldn't make plans. The most obvious way to prepare for our own death is to provide for those that are dependent on our income by purchasing some type of life insurance.
Even less talked about is being ready to die. How does one ever get ready to die? I just purchased my 2009 desk calender and nowhere, in filling out important dates, did I write in the date of my own death. I wish it were that easy. Instead, I have to realize that every day I wake up may be the last one I live. I'm not sure how successful I've been at making every day my last, because I haven't been tested yet. I'm still here. However, I am "ready to go," as they say, having made peace with God in every way. I have no regrets, no known enemies, and no unspoken conversations I wish to make with anyone I leave behind. That doesn't mean I want to die. It does, however, free me to live life to the fullest. Each day is a new adventure, a gift from God. I think more about this than I used to, because almost daily I hear about someone younger than myself who has died.
Unfortunately, for most of us death won't come suddenly. Instead, it will begin with an illness that gets progressively worse, resulting in a death that is expected by all. For a short time five years ago I thought I might have to go through that process, having been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Thankfully, it was caught early and up until now there is no reoccurence.
It's too bad we can't choose how we exit life. I remember my friend who proclaimed that he wanted to die peacefully in his sleep like his grandfather, not screaming in horror like the passengers in his car. How do you want to die? More importantly, are you ready?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to die peacefully. But I have a gut feeling that if I die it will be violent. I know, morbid.

I also feel that I won't die. No, I'm not one of those crazies who think they know when the end is. But, I don't expect my grandchildren to have children. If I even have grandchildren.

On the matter of being ready. During the day, YES! At night when I am going to sleep, no. For some reason I feel more uneasy at those hours about death and eternity.

ROD said...

Hi Micah;
remember the Angel of Death? Those who had the blood on the doorpost had no reason to fear. It really didn't matter if they were afraid. The only important thing for being safe is that the blood was on the doorpost. We have the same assurance if we have placed ourselves in that position.

Anonymous said...

Really a nice blog Mr. Rod, I am not afraid of dieing but the condition is death shouldn't be painful or slow just a fraction of second and you are done, that's called a fast end in a faster world.

And when you are dead next moment I guess I won't be having any concerns to cry or repent, I am all set for such a death.

Unknown said...

Very nice post. Dean and I have already out-lived our parents and who knows how much longer we have together.
Life is good as long as we know the next life is waiting and will also be good, better is a better word.
Seeing those who have gone before cannot compare with seeing Jesus as He is. Beautiful !
You see how I think.
Betty G

ROD said...

Ashok & Betty;
thanks for the comments. The Bible says "...it is appointed unto man once to die, and after that, the judgement." We all need to be ready.