Tuesday, February 26, 2008

FREEDOM OF SPEECH




Pakistan recently blocked Youtube because of its unfavorable treatment of Islam. They are insisting that Youtube remove the offensive videos. Go here to read the CNN report. We know that many nations limit the free speech of the citizens within their borders. Do they also have a right to extend those restrictions to citizens of other nations?


What about in conversation with others? Do we have a responsibility to temper our free speech if we know it will be offensive? For example, if I enter a room of smokers, should I refrain from expounding on the dangers of smoking? I could go on quite a tirade, but would it be advisable? Wouldn't it be better to vent my opinion in a public forum that is not as confrontational?


Perhaps there is a time to remain quiet, and a time to speak out. I believe Youtube is the perfect medium for speaking out. It allows for the sharing of ideas that may not be accepted by all. If we are talking face to face, there are acceptable standards of respect and tolerance. However, if the public forum is silenced, we all suffer.


I see it as a clash of cultures. I was raised with visions of Patrick Henry shouting, "Give me liberty, or give me death." An Islamic culture is totally different, and I would like to see your comments about how their values are in conflict with ours.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It doesn't surprise me to hear that.

Of course there is a time and place. There are also consequences to saying what you want. A lot of people don't realize that.

If I'm at work and I decide to tell a customer they are horrible parents I could and should get fired. Yes, I had the "right" and "freedom" to say so. Doesn't mean I should.

This idea however does not work on Youtube. The whole idea of Youtube is to post you world. Post your thoughts, views and opinions. Its unfortunate that Pakistan wants to have thought control. It must be horrible for them to live daily on such unstable ground that they feel a difference in opinion will shake their Country or Faith that they have to block it.

ROD said...

Hi Micah
I think your comment about shaking their faith is very insightful. If that becomes the reason for repressing free speech than our faith is indeed weak.

Kylopod said...

Maybe I'm naive, but I have a big problem with American businessmen who cooperate with another country's attempts to curtail the free speech of its citizens, as Google has done for China and elsewhere. I hope Youtube doesn't cave on this one.

ROD said...

Hi Ky-
Big business seldom takes the moral high road, so I don't have a lot of hope for Youtube.

Anonymous said...

I don't think they will take the content off. They will just figure out a way to filter it for the Paki's. If they do take it off then they are censoring the U.S.of A and I don't see that flying. I could be wrong.