Monday, February 11, 2008

ENTITLEMENTS






I think I've figured out why I don't like the fast food advertisement, "You deserve a break today." It is telling me that they have decided I need a break, and not only that, but I deserve it. For some reason I resent their feeble attempt at mind control. I feel the same way about the multitude of new car advertisements. I don't even want a car, but they assume I would sell my soul to get one. Well, not my soul, but maybe submit to car payments for the next five years. The appeal is to what I think I deserve, or what I think I am entitled to. It's an attempt, as we all know, to sow seeds of discontent.

What am I really entitled to? We all have basic needs, such as shelter, food, and clothing. Am I entitled to the basics? If so, what entitles me to them? Do I have some sort of noble blood running through my veins that makes me more deserving than someone else? Do I deserve it because I have a job and can buy it if I choose? Am I entitled to something if I can't afford it? That's an argument politicians use all the time to push their favorite social programs.

How about if we reverse the question? Instead of asking what I deserve, what if we asked what others deserve? What if all advertising was focused on challenging the audience to think what they could do for others? Would it still be advertising? Would I buy my friend a car, knowing that my neighbor would be buying one for me? I doubt that approach would work at all.

What about little entitlements? Am I entitled to a hot meal when I come home? Am I entitled to be treated with respect and honesty? Do I deserve a cup of good coffee in the morning? The list is endless. Have you ever heard someone ask, "What have I done to deserve this?" The question implies that good behavior entitles us to rewards. God is watching and will zap you if you do wrong, and reward you with good things if you live right.

Do you have an unwritten list of entitlements? What do you deserve? I'm wondering if I am entitled to anything at all. Wouldn't I be better off if I didn't have any expectations, and then was grateful when something does go right?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I just wrote a small bit in my newest post about something very similar.

2 Thess 3:10 "If you do not work, you do not eat."

I guess if you work you are entitled to eat right? No promises its gonna be hot.

Maybe we are entitled to somethings. As Gods children of course. What are they? I'll leave people who are more educated in that field to say.

Forecast Monkey said...

It is hard to read, but I think the cartoon caption is:

"I don't think of myself as homeless. I just like entitlements."

ROD said...

JR, thanks for the clarification on the cartoon.

Micah,
so the question is, "Does a Christian have any entitlements?"
Doesn't the very idea of being entitled to something go against what Jesus taught?

Anonymous said...

Does a Christian have any entitlements?

In this world, no. I don't think so. Well, unless you count persecution.

In the next world, yes. I couldn't say what they would be. But thats the feeling I get.

Anonymous said...

I like the King James version

"He who does not work, neither shall he eat"

I used to have that verse on my kid's chore charts. That didn't find the humor in it that I did however.

I'll admit it...I'm pretty clueless on this subject although I will admit to being chronically irritated at the freebies handed out these days....who deserve it and who doesn't??? Who decides? And on what do we base those decisions?? I have lots of questions and few answers I guess.

ROD said...

Are entitlements a gift, or should they be taken by force? Nations have gone to war over what they feel they deserve. Should we as individuals also use conflict? By what authority do we claim an entitlement? Does a pacifist by nature of his belief system give up all right to entitlements? How about the Revolutionary War? Taxation without representation was one of their many complaints. Were they wrong to demand representation? You're right, Carol, there are many questions.

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Perhaps we would be better without expectations. Certainly a good way to avoid disappointments.

Thanks for dropping by my blog. Hope to see you again.

Seeking Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

preacherman said...

Rod,
Great post brother.
Thank you for making us think.
I hope you have a great week.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry