Tuesday, May 11, 2010

LAUGHTER


Laughter seems to be a natural anecdote for moodiness. Tuesday's Oregonian had an article about laughter yoga classes. People show up and laugh for about 30 minutes. No jokes, no funny movies, just laughing. I'm not sure I could get into the spirit of it. I like a good joke to get me started. Walking into a room full of strangers and participating in group laughter sounds almost wrong.
I think there was more laughter when families were larger. My mother was the oldest of seven, and family reunions were a gas. Uncle Howard was a master storyteller, and his yarns always began as a believable story, but ended with the listener as the victim of humor. My aunts were always quick to share funny stories and jokes. Consequently, laughter abounded when we all got together.
Perhaps it is more difficult to laugh when you only have two or three siblings, because there are fewer jokes and stories per person. We still have a good time, however, and someone always has a good story.
Proverbs says that a merry heart is good medicine. Remember that funny story, I want to hear it. If I get desperate I may have to attend laughter yoga class.

No comments: