Sunday, November 23, 2008

THE DREAM



I was going down a flight of stairs. On one of the landings I met my dad coming up. He was younger. I was delighted. We hugged, and then I realized that my head only came up to his chest. I looked up, and his head was only a couple of inches from the ceiling. It must have been an old house for the ceiling to be that low. I said, "When I grow up, my head will touch the ceiling." I was sobbing the whole time. He just smiled. Then suddenly, I was grown up and I was looking down at him. He became very old, and collapsed into my arms. I held him as he died.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when he was "young" and strong. Even tho he was 42 when I was born, he was so strong and capable. I remember him standing with the oil stove to his back commenting on how the "cold was colder" in OR with the humidity. It seemed that is where he also often kissed mother and gently popped her back after a long day. I remember him sitting at the kitchen table paying bills, and helping me with math. I remember him, and later you, on top of the house adjusting the TV antenna as we yelled feedback. I am thankful for memories that will last longer than the memories we have now of him still gentle and kind, but old and frail. May we all age with his dignity..or qo quickly like Mom and be saved the struggle. love, sherri

ROD said...

Yes, he is blessed to have such good health. Thanks for your memories.

Bethany said...

It seems like God may have been preparing you for Grandpa to pass away.