Friday, October 10, 2008

MONK




It's time to promote my favorite program. Monk has finally come to network television. It has been on cable for several years. Up until now, the only way we have been able to watch it is to rent the videos of past shows. I'm not sure why I like it. Maybe I recognize something of myself in his personality. We all have obsessive-compulsive tendencies. Monk lives it, so we don't have to.
The writers of this show have had a lot of fun thinking up interesting scenarios for someone with OCD. So far my favorite scene is when he is strapped down in the dentist chair and the dentist is preparing to torture him. Monk isn't overly worried about the torture, but he is concerned that the dentist isn't wearing gloves. He begs, "In the name of all that is holy, please wash your hands."
There is a lesson in this for all of us. Sometimes we become overly concerned with the small things, while not giving proper attention to what is really important. I think we need to stay focused. This week in Portland we had a house slide down a hill. Those below saw it coming toward them, and the father started to retrieve his new Honda. He was stopped by his son, who properly recognized that his dad's life was more important than the car. I hope there will always be those around who will remind me of what is really important, and I trust I will do the same for them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like your segway to remembering what is important in life. Good reminder.
I am looking forward to watching Monk with you...I will sing along on the intro and end songs :)

Kylopod said...

I've been a long-time admirer of Tony Shalhoub. His role as a fastidious Italian chef in Big Night from 1996 was in some ways a precursor to his Monk role.

He is better at portraying OCD than either Jack Nicholson or Leonardo Di Caprio, both of whom received Oscar nods for their portrayals of the disorder. He feels natural and unforced, and brings a surprising warmth to the role without being cutesy.

Not being a big TV watcher, I saw the entire first season on DVD, but only scattered episodes after that. Hulu.com and USA Network's website have given me the chance to do some catching up.

ROD said...

I've watched every past episode that has come out in the video stores. Perhaps I have more OCD tendencies than I thought! I keep wondering how long the writers can maintain this level of creativity.