Monday, January 7, 2008

CHILDHOOD MEMORIES







The morning began as a routine vacation day. The year was 1954. We were preparing to drive to Grandma's house. We lived on a dairy farm in Western Kansas, along highway 50. Syracuse was 7 miles to the East, and Lamar, Colorado was about 18 miles to the West. An old shack beside the highway was all that remained of what had once been the location of a gas station. A sign was still standing, declaring the name Midway. Our house and barn sat about 1,500 feet off the road.

Dad was fueling the car. Being somewhat mechanical, he had converted our car and tractor to propane, and between the house and barn we had a large capacity propane tank.

I was five years old, doing whatever five year-olds do. Mom was preparing breakfast and watching the baby (Nancy). Suddenly, Dad burst through the door. "We have to get out." he shouted. (My dad never shouted.) "I've backed into the propane valve and broke it off. Shut off the stove, I'll get the baby." Our home was heated by a free standing gas stove. After what seemed to her like an eternity, Mom finally was able to shut off the stove and the pilot flame.

We fled down the driveway toward the highway. It was about 30 degrees, with absolutely no breeze. My pajamas did not keep out the cold. We watched as a cloud of propane gas gradually filled the farmyard and blocked our view of the house and barn. It was eerily quiet. Dad made a lame joke about not striking a match. Mom was praying, and Dad was agreeing. It took about 30 minutes for the cloud to dissipate. As we walked back, we were thankful to God that we had not been blown to bits. The real surprise, however came as we approached the house. The car was still sitting where Dad had backed into the valve. It was idleing. He had forgotten to turn it off.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Hey I guess you were glad to not be blown to pieces. I have a similar story with a gas fire. We made a bon fire one night out by a big barn, my fiance' wanted the fire to start faster, so he poured a little gasoline on top and dropped the gas can in. There was a big boom as the can exploded and i freaked grabbed my 3 kids moved the truck as far away and almost called 911, but Russell my fiance was calm so we sat there and in about thirty mins. it finally dissapated but it was scary. I told him " I need to make the fire from now on." But there was no harm done to anything not even the trees around us thank God.
I had to come read your blog and thank you for your comment because you are the first to comment on my blog so thanks:)
God bless you, if you like to read blogs of blessing go to cfhusband.blogspot.com
You will leave blessed!!!
Also My children's father and my fiance is a recovering alcoholic so thats my situation if you'd like to pray for us or want to read my blog.

God Bless,
jenn

ROD said...

Hi Jenn
I'm glad you're alive. I admire the values of single parents like you. Hang in there.